Sunday, January 2, 2011

Muliti Grain English Muffins

I've been debating the value of purchasing muffin rings for over a year. I finally got some with my birthday money, and I'm so glad that I did! Most recipes call for white all purpose flour, but that doesn't really fit with the dietary needs of this kitchen. I wouldn't say we actively avoid white flour, but given the choice we ALWAYS pick a more fibrous option. So I came up with a recipe that includes whole grains to beef up the fiber content. Since this is my first go around I didn't use any whole wheat flour, but I think next time I'll give it a try. (and I'll be sure to update!) It's not traditional, but it's tasty and it's good for you!

Before we start, a little bit about the rings: I purchased mine from King Arthur Flour, and got a set of 8, and paid a little over $1 for each ring. Sometimes King Arthur Flour can be expensive, but as a poor grad student, I would say this is a solid buy. If you are using them on a non-stick surface, don't slide the rings around, just place them down, and lift straight up to remove them. When you wash them, don't just set them out do dry, they'll rust. Dry them with a towel, and then put them in a warm oven to dry. Just turn the oven on the lowest temperature setting (maybe 200?) while you wash dishes, put the rings in the oven, and turn the oven off. When it's cooled down completely, your rings should be ready to go.





Multi Grain English Muffins


1 cup milk, microwaved for 2 minutes

1tbsp sugar

1tbsp shortening

1tsp salt

1 packet of instant yeast dissolved in 1/3 cup warm water

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup multi grain hot breakfast cereal (uncooked) *


In your mixing bowl combine milk, sugar, shortening and salt. Stir until the sugar and the salt dissolve. You can try to break up the shortening a little bit, but it won't break up too much. Add the yeast. Then, with your trusty mixing spoon beat in the flour and cereal, sort of smashing the lump of shortening, until it's all blended.


Let the mixture rise for 30 minutes. I put mine on top of the griddle on top of the stove. Since we have a gas oven it stays pretty warm.


If you have an electric griddle preheat it to 300 degrees. If you don't preheat your griddle( a large pan works too, you'll just have to cook fewer muffins at a time) on the stove top on low heat. While your cooking surface is heating up, lightly grease your rings, and set them on the griddle. The dough is sticky, so if you have an ice cream scoop with the spring-loaded scraper, that would be perfect for putting the dough in the rings. Or if you don't have one (like me) Just put two heaping tablespoons scooped out of the spoon with your finger... into the rings and let them cook on one side for 5 minutes. Use tongs to pinch the edge and flip them over and cook for 5 more minutes.


Delicious!


Once they have cooled completely, you can save these in an air tight container on the counter top for the next day, in the fridge for the next 3 days, or in tightly wrapped in cling wrap and foil for the next 3 weeks.











* I use Trader Joe's brand, which includes oats, barley, rye and wheat. I think just quick (not instant) oats would work well here. You might also try a 10 grain mixture like the one offered by Bob's Red Mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment