Sunday, June 19, 2011

Marinated Strawberries with a Twist

I debated for a while on what to call these little rubies, because I wanted to be clear that this was something a little different than the old "strawberries and sugar" deal, but I also didn't want to scare anyone away. If you're feeling adventurous please read on...

I have two cook books that pair strawberries with black pepper. I thought it sounded so crazy that it just might work! So I decided to sacrifice a pint in the name of experimentation. I went with something simple rather than making a whole dessert or ice cream flavor, as recommended in the previously mentioned books. I marinated them and put them on some vanilla ice cream. If you are bored with the usual strawberries and cream, this is definitely the cure! It highlights the punchy brightness of the strawberries at the beginning, and has a nice kick at the end. It almost creates a sensation of effervescence. If you're not feeling quite so adventurous, I think the strawberry/orange combination is quite nice on its own.



Marinated Strawberries
1 pint fresh strawberries
the juice and finely grated zest of one orange
1-2 tsp sugar (to taste, really)
The tiniest pinch of black pepper (also to taste)

Rinse the strawberries, cut of the tops and cut the strawberries into bite sized pieces. Combine in a small bowl with the juice, zest, sugar and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.

I ate them on top of ice cream, but I imagine they would be beautiful chopped into a chunky relish and placed on top of some crackers with a swipe of cream cheese. Upon tasting them I have also become obsessed with the idea of putting them on top of a tres leches cake. Please somebody, help me be in a situation where it is necessary to do that.

I have no other explanation for this song selection other than, "this seems appropriate".


No comments:

Post a Comment