Saturday, February 26, 2011

Champagne Cupcakes

Cake and champagne is a terribly under appreciated food pairing. But really they are made for each other! They're both celebratory, romantic, indulgent and yummy! I first saw champagne flavored cake a few years ago on Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee. I tried it with the cake mix, and loved the delicate scent and the divine texture a little bit of bubbly gave the cake. Now that I have matured a bit as a baker, I thought it was about time to figure out how to do this one from scratch. She made the cake with a champagne flavored frosting, which I decided to do this time (Either follow Sandra Lee's recipe, or make your favorite butter cream recipe replacing the milk with champagne). However, usually I prefer a more romantic spin with whipped cream, strawberry halves and chocolate drizzle on top. Either way it's up to you. I wouldn't say no to a fudgey chocolate pan frosting on this one either...


Champagne Cupcakes
1 cup unsalted butter softened
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sparkling wine*

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line your muffin tin with paper liners. Now in a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar. I use a hand mixer on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Then add your eggs one at a time, making sure each one is fully beaten in before adding the next. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of that mixture to the butter/sugar/egg mixture and start on low speed until it won't poof up in your face, and finish combining on medium speed. Then carefully pour in your sparkling wine and mix in again on medium speed. Add the second half of the dry mixture, on (you guessed it!) medium speed. I think I'm a bit generous with cupcake batter, so I only get 22.5 cupcakes, but I'm sure people with more self control can get an even 2 dozen by putting about 2 tbsp batter in each cup. (My scoops of batter are heaping.) I bake them for about 20 minutes. They'll be lovely and pale (unlike most cakes which are more golden when they're done), but when you insert a toothpick or a knife, it will come out clean when they're done. Carefully remove them from the pan as soon as possible, to cool on a rack. Cool completely before frosting.

Channel your inner Marie Antoinette and enjoy!


*I don't actually use champagne, as it seems a waste to ruin all that lovely delicate flavor by baking it in the oven! Instead I use the cheapest sparkling wine I can find. I lucked out this time at Trader Joe's with this great almond flavored one that lent its self quite nicely to baking! And it only cost me $5.99! I also suggest using something on the sweeter side, which is another reason I prefer cheaper sparkling wines for this recipe. Of course when I take that first bite of cake, it might as well be Dom Perignon!

No comments:

Post a Comment